GEOTEK/PUPI is the market leader in high-performance fiberglass composite structures for the electrical utility industry. We are looking for a highly motivated, high-energy manufacturing engineer to join our team as a Manufacturing Engineer at our manufacturing plant located in Stewartville, MN (suburb of Rochester, MN and ~1.5hrs south of Minneapolis and St. Paul). The Manufacturing Engineer performs a variety of engineering tasks to develop, test, implement, and document manufacturing processes and methods. This is done both on the production floor and in an office setting, and completed in accordance with product specifications, customer requirements, and quality standards while also ensuring compliance to all required governmental laws and safety standards. The successful candidate will be a leader, an initiative taker, and an innovator. They will be and individual who thrives in a fast-paced environment, is driven, and wants to be part of a winning team. This is a highly visible position where the right candidate can develop in their career and make real and lasting impacts on the business!
- Designs production lines and processes by utilizing and applying LEAN principals and other industry leading best practices to meet efficiency and capacity goals.
- Leads and drives continuous improvement projects that result in improved safety, quality, productivity, and efficiencies utilizing structured problem solving techniques and other Six Sigma principals.
- Examines the manufacturing process for new automation opportunities and leads the implementation of approved projects. Supports existing factory automation, including software, controls, mechanical and hydraulic systems.
- Designs tooling and other manufacturing aides using SolidWorks 3D CAD. Performs engineering analysis as required.
- Develops and maintains work instructions and other engineering documentation including (but not limited to) process flow diagrams, value stream maps, drawings, routings, and time studies, to define process steps, process flow, and other process requirements.
- Prepares training materials and trains key production employees and production supervisors on new work procedures and manufacturing processes.
- Estimates manufacturing costs, process time and manpower requirements. Consolidates, documents, and presents results for review.
- Provides production support as required to manufacturing personnel; Troubleshoots processes, equipment, tooling, and raw materials; Designs and implements improvements to prevent re-occurrence.
- Support new product development (NPD) initiatives, including participation on NPD teams to develop new manufacturing capabilities and techniques in support of the NPD initiative. Includes conducting engineering trials and R&D when necessary, and preparation/delivery of data, reports, and analysis.
- Participates in strategic planning for capital equipment, production line lay-outs, and factory lay-outs that position GEOTEK to support current and future production demand.
- Supports ongoing Quality Management and root cause investigation, including corrective actions. Supports ISO 9001:2015 QMS, audits, and re-certification.
- Supports the mission of the organization and adheres to all company policies
- Performs other duties as directed
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor's degree in engineering (Manufacturing, Mechanical, Industrial, or similar field) with 2 or more years' experience in a continuous process manufacturing environment required. *Internship experience in a manufacturing engineering role for recently graduated engineers may be considered in lieu of years of experience.
- Experience with LEAN manufacturing principals. Experience designing and implementing production lines highly desirable.
- Experience with 3D CAD (SolidWorks or similar).
- Experienced problem solver. Experience with structured problem solving techniques highly desirable.
- Experience with developing and implementing continuous improvement utilizing value stream mapping, statistical process control, or other six sigma principals. Six Sigma certification (green, black, or master black belt) is desirable.
- Experience with developing and maintaining work instructions and other standard work. Experience with supporting an ISO 9001:2015 manufacturing environment desirable.
- Experience in designing and deploying tooling and assembly aids that improve efficiency and consistency.
- Experience developing and maintaining engineering documentation, including drawings, routings, and bills of materials. Experience developing cost standards and labor time standards.
- Experience working with and/or designing factory automation highly desired.
- Experience with developing and maintaining manufacturing metrics and KPIs. Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, communication, and presentation skills.
- Experience with supporting and launching new products through a formal new product development (NPD) process such as stagegate.
- Demonstrate the ability to safely work with basic hand tools or machining equipment.
- Ability to solve complex problems using creative thinking.
Physical Work Conditions
50 - 50 split between office and plant work environment.